When I teach patients how to have healthier lives, mentally, emotionally, physically, sexually and spiritually, I turn to the literature and studies that support the evidence of why a new behavior is worth their time. So here you all go: The reason to enjoy your sex life is the following very robust evidence that should convince us all why having sex is better than not having sex. So NO more excuses. Put your computers, cell phones, iPads and TV’s away and get going with sexual pleasure.
- Sex two or more times a week may reduce your cardiovascular risk by half
- Increase in antibodies to help reduce flus and colds
- Burns at least 85 kcal for every 30 minutes of sexual activity
- Increase self-esteem
- Promotes bonding and intimacy with release of oxytocin and vasopressin
- Endorphin release to ease pain
- Promotes strong pelvic floor muscles (good for us ladies to help reduce leaky bladder!)
- Reduced rates of insomnia
Another factor that help reduce our cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk is being the eternal optimist versus the pessimist. Those with a positive disposition have a 20-25% reduction in CVD, while those that tend to view life with more hostility, anxiety and depression may increase their risk by up to 25%. I challenge each of you to enjoy sex at least twice a week and adopt the optimist viewpoint in life.
If you want to understand more on this topic, I recommend a great read by Martin Seligman called Flourish. His work has lead the Positive Psychology movement and definitely worth your time to read……after sex of course!